This position will lead and manage the product development process from its initial concept through final formula approval. Product Development Managers work with a variety of large and small customers creating high quality skin, body and hair care products. This position will be involved in all aspects of managing product development in a contract manufacturing environment. Responsible for understanding the full scope of a customer’s development brief request and confidently communicating them within the cross-functional teams in order to drive project. Through close partnerships with the R&D, Sales, Operations, Regulatory and Account Management teams you will ensure new personal care products are successfully developed, manufactured and launched on time and within budget. This position requires a high level of organization to track a large volume of requests with short timelines. This position reports to the Sr. Director of Product Development. This position is perfect for those who thrive on managing multiple accounts and tasks while providing excellent customer service.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build and maintain strong relationships with customers.
- Review customer’s development brief and conduct “kick off” launch meetings to obtain a comprehensive understanding of the project.
- Work closely with Operations to check manufacture feasibility, tooling, pilot, and line trial needs.
- Ability to effectively communicate customer briefs to the lab while managing customer expectations, maximizing lab resources and meeting timelines.
- Process and organize a high volume of base extension requests (new fragrance/color launches).
- Communicate customer feedback to internal teams. Act as the liaison for communication on revision/reformulation and development process between R&D and customer.
- Evaluate lab samples and drive the development to meet customer desired aesthetics/performance.
- Responsible for keeping customer and internal teams up-to-date on the progress of projects, risks and issues in a timely manner, and driving the team to completion of deliverables
- Maintain up to date and accurate project tracking for reporting. Organize and track projects on spreadsheets.
- Manage customer expectations both internally and externally.
- Participate in client meetings, weekly conference calls, provide email updates. Including sending of tracking#s of shipments.
- Work with internal teams to ensure all team members are meeting their deadlines for each phase of the project.
- Drive cross-functional communication and provide weekly updates to clients discussing delays and presenting alternative solutions to keep projects on track to meet launch dates
- Drive issues to resolution through partnerships and creative problem solving; use rigorous logic and method to solve difficult problems with effective solution.
- Determine new product preliminary pricing targets for R&D and track development cogs to meet target. Responsible for ensuring completion of prelim quote to customer.
- Track and Ensure Completion of Regulatory requests to ensure compliance of formula and provide customer with all documentation needed for registration/sale of product.
- Minimum 3-5 years proven, results-oriented experience in hair, skin or personal care industry with a solid track record of managing the product development process.
- Hair, Body, and Skin care experience preferred. This is not a color cosmetics position.
- Contract manufacturing experience a plus. Knowledge of cosmetic product manufacturing is preferred.
- 2+ years’ experience in a role that interfaces with customers.
- Bachelor Degree preferred, but not required.
- Passion for brands, products and consumers understanding. Passion for the beauty/cosmetic industry and current trends to provide a business partnership for new product concepts within beauty.
- Must thrive in a high-energy, ever-changing, collaborative environment. Must feel comfortable being driven by deadlines with a high sense of urgency.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a high volume of projects - prioritization, planning and task delegation (min of 30-40 project up to 80 new product launches at one time).
- Process-improvement mindset to collaborate on ideas to improve efficiency
- Nimble and adaptable based on changing priorities/ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, and able to execute on processes to deliver results
- Must be a great multi tasker, great executor, fast learner and detailed-oriented.
- Proven track record of taking ownership and driving results.
- Strong analytical skills, proactive approach to anticipate issues and provide solutions.
- Excellent organizational skills, strong attention to detail, ability to plan, prioritize and manage multiple projects successfully, often with competing deadlines.
- Impeccable communication skills, both verbal and written with a high level of creativity and attention to detail.
- This position requires an individual who is self-directed and detail-oriented with an inquisitive nature and the desire to solve problems.
- A strong work ethic with a positive "can-do" attitude and one who takes pride in the quality of their work.
- Creative with a strong knowledge of beauty trends.
- Ability to work well with others; to create a cross-departmental successful team environment.
- Proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Pay Type Salary
- Chatsworth, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Hodgkins, IL, USA