Building Maintenance Mechanic (Technician) - Jacksonville, FL
The Salvation Army, an internationally recognized non-profit, faith-based organization, has a job opening for a Building Maintenance Mechanic for the NE Florida Area Command located in Jacksonville, Florida.
Performs variety of skilled maintenance work for buildings and grounds including heating, ventilation, and air conditioning, plumbing, electrical, and carpentry work as well as routine maintenance and repairs.
- Inspects, tests, adjusts, and repairs all physical plant machinery, heating, cooling, piping, and electrical systems, and records maintenance in accordance with schedules.
- Troubleshoots and repairs minor mechanical malfunctions and performs preventative maintenance on vehicles, dishwashers, laundry machines, vent fans, etc.; performs minor adjustments; lubricates and cleans vehicles and/or equipment.
- Constructs and repairs building structures, walls, floors, ceilings, cabinets, and furniture.
- Performs minor repairs to air conditioning system as required and ensures general maintenance of system.
- Performs skilled maintenance activities including construction, welding, brazing, soldering, and minor plumbing.
- Installs electrical conduit, wiring, switching devices, controls, outlets, fixtures, motors, and other such equipment.
- Repairs light bulbs, florescent tubes, spotlights, exit lights, and other minor lighting malfunctions.
- Repairs toilets, urinals, showers, drains, etc.
- Checks and repairs pumps, fans, valves, and motors.
- Perform various grounds keeping work; mows grass, trims trees, prunes hedges, edges lawn, etc.
- May drive Salvation Army vehicle to pick-up and/or deliver miscellaneous items or to transport passengers.
- Maintains tools and machinery in good condition and uses all tools carefully and as instructed.
- Prepares accurate records for preventive maintenance.
- Cleans carpets and upholstered furniture with power extractor.
Materials and Equipment Used
Hand saw Planer Joiner Shaper
Table saw Wood lathe Drill press Sanding Machine
Router Electric drill Hammer Screw Driver
Wire Cutters Ladder Gauges
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tool, and practices used in at least two of the building, electrical, or mechanical trades.
- Knowledge of plumbing, electrical, construction, and air conditioning equipment.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trades involved.
- Skill in the care and use of tools and equipment used in the trades involved.
- Ability to detect defects in equipment and to make proper repairs or adjustments.
- Ability to follow instructions and work with little or no supervision.
Education and Experience
Two years course work from a technical or vocational school in construction, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning as well as pluming and electronics, and three years’ experience performing maintenance and repair work for commercial building and grounds, or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
Licenses and Certifications
Valid state driver’s license may be required.
Qualified certification in one of the following fields
- Air conditioning
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Ability to meet attendance requirements.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate the English language.
- Ability to perform heavy lifting.
- Ability to perform strenuous, heavy work involving the lifting and carrying of heavy objects.
- Ability to perform continuous walking, stooping, standing, and some climbing.
All employees recognize that The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as an employee of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission.
To apply, please select the “Apply Now” icon at the bottom of this posting.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
When an application is selected for review, typically, only applicants who indicate the relevant education and experience requirements, as indicated in the job description for the position, may be considered for job openings. Please FULLY complete the application, answer questions completely, honestly and to the best of your ability. Please also upload a copy of your resume (when available). Those applicants requiring accommodation to the application and/or interview process should contact a representative of the Human Resources Department at the applicable location.
We appreciate your interest in employment opportunities with The Salvation Army!
- Job Family FL-NON-EXEMPT
- Job Function Property
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $16.00
- Max Hiring Rate $18.00
- Required Education High School
- 900 W Adams St, Jacksonville, FL 32204, USA