JOB TITLE: Department Administrator
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for administering, directing, planning and coordinating all clerical and administrative office activities. For a person to be assigned this position, he/she must oversee a clinical department of at least 12 physicians in a single specialty.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the CEO or his/her designee.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervises Departmental Clerical/Office Coordinator(s) and Nurse Manager(s).
1. Oversees daily office operations and delegates authority to assigned employees.
2. Assists Clerical/Office Coordinator(s) and Nurse Manager(s) develop and implement short and long-term work plans and objectives for clerical functions.
3. Assists Clerical/Office(s) and Nurse Manager(s) in understanding/implementing clinic policies and procedures.
4. Develops guidelines for prioritizing work activities, evaluating effectiveness, and modifying activities as necessary. Works with Clerical/Office(s) and Nurse Manager(s) to ensure that office is staffed appropriately.
5. Helps employees establish deadlines for work assignment and completion. Monitors work status and progress.
6. Identifies, analyzes, and resolves departmental problems.
7. Assists in the recruiting, hiring, orientation, development and evaluation of clerical staff.
8. Oversees office payroll and leave records.
9. Oversees and approves purchasing of office supply inventory, ensures that mail is opened and processed, offices are opened and closed according to procedures.
10. Conduct and administer fiscal operations, including planning budgets ,authorizing expenditures, and coordinating financial reporting to physicians with the CFO.
11. Ensures that patients are treated courteously by office staff and that other visitors are screened and properly directed.
12. Ensures that requests for information are handled promptly and effectively.
13. Works with physicians and other administrative staff to ensure efforts are coordinated and high-quality patient care is provided.
14. Works with physicians and other medical providers to monitor expiration dates of licensures, board certification and other similar items to ensure proper renewal of those items so that they remain in full force and effect.
15. Works with physicians and other medical providers to monitor and evaluate continuing education requirements and opportunities, including scheduling and registration, so as to ensure that the physicians’ and other providers CME requirements are met each year.
16. Participates in professional development activities.
17. Maintains strictest confidentiality.
The job holder must demonstrate current competencies applicable to the job position.
EDUCATION: High school diploma; Bachelor degree required. Courses in medical terminology and health care office management preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of ten years of administrative experience including five years of medical office management experience.
REQUIREMENTS: Medical Office experience.
1. Knowledge of organizational policies, procedures and systems.
2. Knowledge of clinic office procedures.
3. Knowledge of computer systems and applications.
4. Knowledge of medical practices, terminology, and reimbursement policies.
5. Knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure to answer correspondence and prepare reports.
1. Skill in planning, organizing, delegating and supervising.
2. Skill in evaluating the effectiveness of existing methods and procedures.
3. Skill in operating a variety of office equipment and computer programs.
4. Skill in considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
5. Skill in using logical reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
1. Ability to read, listen, interpret and apply policies and procedures and understand information presented through spoken and written formats.
2. Ability to communicate information and ideas clearly and effectively in both spoken and written formats so others will understand.
3. Ability to set priorities among multiple requests.
4. Ability to interact with patients, medical and administrative staff, public effectively.
5. Ability to sense when something is wrong or likely to go wrong. It does not require solving the problem, only recognizing that there is a problem and then working with Administration and/or physicians to develop and implement solutions.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS: Requires sitting and standing associated with a normal office environment.
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Normal office environment.
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as need evolve.
- Pay Type Salary
- Main Campus - 1272 Garrison Drive, 1272 Garrison Drive, Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States of America