Laboratory- Office Manager-FT
A. JOB DESCRIPTION
Responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all aspects of the laboratory department in the clinic. In doing so coordinates and directs the activities of personnel engaged in collecting, testing, and analyzing blood, urine, and other bodily fluids in order to provide diagnostic information to physicians/providers. Ensures provision of high-quality services in compliance with department, MMC, and third-party requirements. Communicates relevant issues to physicians/providers. Responsible for ensuring adequate staffing, supplies, and properly functioning equipment.
B. DISTINGUISHING FEATURE
The Medical Laboratory Manager manages laboratory service in accordance with clinical and governmental standards and within established budget. The Laboratory Manager facilitates development of the department mission, goals, policies, procedures, and work standards.
C. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- In liaison with the Lab Supervisor, Chief Tech and Chief Phlebotomist, ensures accurate and appropriate completion of laboratory tests from the pre-analytical to post-analytical phases of laboratory testing. This is including the processing of outside laboratory tests.
- Compiles/analyzes data on departmental productivity, activity, finances, prepares and presents statistical information to administration.
- Coordinates cost-effective ordering/receiving/inventorying of laboratory supplies with the laboratory staff and /or Director of Operations.
- Reviews departmental performance and ensures compliance with accreditation, legal, and other regulatory requirements with the aid of the lab supervisor.
- Responsible for managing the human resources of the department. In doing so, interviews, recommends hiring of, orients, evaluates the performance of, and when necessary, counsels and recommends termination action. Interacts with Human Resources in resolving complex employee relations problems.
- Also completes time records, vacation leave requests, wage increases, and other documentation.
- Maintains adequate level of supplies and equipment in operating condition.
- Analyzes distribution of laboratory services, review laboratory testing fees, recommends adjustments to fee structure, and implements approved changes.
- Maintains knowledge of Medicare guide lines, CPT coding, and other third party issues as they relate to reimbursement for tests performed.
- Identifies new tests, procedures, equipment, and instruments for the laboratory.
- Analyzes feasibility of new tests or procedures and makes recommendations to Administration for approval, and implements as requested.
- Responds to inquiries from physicians/providers.
- In response to work load demands and availability of laboratory personnel, assists staff in activating orders, collecting patient specimens, and labeling specimens appropriately. May perform waived, moderate or high complexity tests.
- Maintains knowledge of trends and developments in the field by reading appropriate articles, journals, and related material, and by attending seminars and/ or conferences, and so forth.
- Supports and abides by departmental and clinic policies and procedures.
- Represents the Murfreesboro Medical Clinic in a professional manner reflecting the mission and philosophy of the Clinic with all work-related activities.
- Ensures laboratory is adequately staffed on a daily basis to ensure quality and rapid patient disposition.
- Maintains HIPAA compliance and compliance with all safety regulations-OSHA and MSDS sheets.
- Performs related work as required.
D. REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS
Reports to the COO and the CEO.
E. CONTACT WITH OTHERS
Daily contact with physicians, nurses, and office managers regarding tests results, procedures, and policies. Frequent contact with Administration to discuss financial matters, human resource issues, and departmental recommendations.
F. WORKING CONDITIONS
The incumbent works in normal laboratory environment with exposure to physical discomforts due to unpleasant odors from chemicals or specimens. Exposure to communicable diseases and uncooperative patients.
G. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Clinical laboratory procedures and practices
- Laboratory standards to monitor and evaluate the work of technicians.
- Laboratory equipment and testing to perform quality control checks
- Medical terminology
- Safety regulations/HIPPA regulations
- Perform a full range of laboratory tests.
- React and direct in emergency situations
- Write reports and evaluate spreadsheets
- Provide guidance and instruction to staff.
- Identify and resolve problems with personnel and documentation of issues or complaints
- Be able to address in a professional manner any complaints by patients with satisfactory resolution
- Evaluate utilization statistics and other data and make program recommendations
- Determine and maintain budget needs
- Communicate clearly to all staff through lab meetings or memos
G. LICENSES AND CERTIFICATION
- Tennessee licensed Medical Laboratory Technician or Technologist
- AMT or ASCP certified (recommended)
- Lab Supervisor
- Bachelors (Preferred)
- Supervising Experience: 2-5 years (Preferred)
- Laboratory Experience: 2-5 years (Preferred)
- Pay Type Salary
- Main Campus - 1272 Garrison Drive, 1272 Garrison Drive, Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States of America