Summary: Responsible for the maintenance of the garden-wide irrigations system. This involves both repair and new irrigation installation work and requires frequent hand digging and use of trenching and/or mini-backhoe. Manages the yearly backflow inspection of irrigation devices and assists the plumber in his duties. May assist in the fountain and pump maintenance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains and repairs garden-wide irrigation systems which include performing spring startup and fall winterization and coordinate contracted annual testing of irrigation backflow devices.
- Participates in the planning and construction of new irrigation systems and will monitor contractor’s perform work.
- Creates and maintains accurate records and drawings showing the location of all buried utilities.
- Works with Horticulture Staff to ensure proper operation of irrigation systems within their assigned gardens to ensure proper coverage and prevent waste of water.
- Inspects area irrigated to ensure adequate soaking and prevent waste of water.
- Assist the plumber with installation, repair, and servicing of plumbing fixtures, domestic water lines, sanitary and storm water lines, sump pumps/pits, drains, chemical and grease traps, and any related equipment.
- Provides site protection for garden staff and visitors by barricading and covering all open trenches and holes while making repairs to below ground utilities
- Assist the plumber with installation, repair, and servicing of plumbing fixtures, water, and sewer pipes, sump pumps, chemical, and grease traps, and related equipment.
- Assists with fountain maintenance.
- Maintains inventory of frequently used supplies and replacement parts.
- Identifies and initiates immediate corrective actions for any plumbing code or safety violations.
- Ensures that all applicable safety standards are followed: informs employees/students/volunteers of safety guidelines and safe working practices and routinely monitors to enforce them.
- Adapts or modifies work methods to reduce hazards.
- Reports all accidents, injuries, and near-miss accidents immediately.
- May assist HVAC staff with the installation of new piping systems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Behave & communicate in a manner that promotes and fosters a culture of teamwork, cooperation, and respect within our division and throughout the Garden with all employees, supervisors/managers, volunteers, visitors, and others.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities. However, at times, individual may monitor and direct job duties for contract plumbers working on-site and/or other garden staff who may be assigned to assist on large projects or events.
- Communication: Combines listening skills, verbal and written communication skills and visitor relation skills.
- Collaboration: Incorporates teamwork, mutual respect, active engagement, cooperation and visitor focus
- Accountability: Initiative to take ownership of responsibilities, the ability to prioritize and the working knowledge and skills to take action.
- Problem Solving: Blends problem solving skills, judgement and decision making skills along with creativity and resourcefulness.
- Stewardship: Merges the practical application of the Garden values and support for a positive organizational climate.
- Five (5) years experience installing, repairing, and servicing commercial irrigation piping systems and controls required.
- Knowledge of approved industry standards related to commercial irrigations systems.
- Knowledge of local plumbing codes and general construction methods.
- Knowledge of acceptable safe work practices including wearing the necessary personal protective equipment and proper use of hand tools and equipment including trenches and mini-backhoe.
- Familiarity with commercial and residential plumbing fixtures and methods is a plus.
- Ability to read blue-prints and keep accurate records of new or repaired irrigation piping.
- Must be able to set and/or adjust priorities depending on climatic conditions and specific time constants due to building occupancies and scheduled events.
- Self-starter, achieving high productivity with strong attention to detail; ability to work independently with little instruction; coordinate and prioritize multiple tasks, set deadlines, and complete projects in a timely manner is required.
- Demonstrates highest level of professional and ethical conduct.
- Some local travel required – less than 20%.
- Scheduling flexibility that allows working weekends, evenings, and holidays as needed.
- The requirements and duties listed are representative and not exhaustive of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required.
- High school diploma or the equivalent required.
- An equivalent combination of skills, education, and experience may be considered.
- Familiarity navigating through various PC applications including, but not restricted to Microsoft Office suite (i.e., Outlook, Word, etc.).
- Ability to use Internet to search for repair parts and to obtain manufactures’ literature and required material safety data sheets (MSDS).
Other Skills and Abilities: N/A
- Ability to communicate effectively in English (oral and written).
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions and information to effectively execute and achieve results.
- H.S. basic math and geometry as necessary to order materials and perform new installations.
- Requires ability to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to problem resolution.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and clean, insurable driving record (prior to employment).
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid chauffeur’s license within (2) months of hire required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Certified Irrigation Technician (CIT) Certification.
- Manual labor - Ability to work outdoors all year round in all weather conditions (i.e., in temperatures over 100°F as well as temperatures below 0°F, in rain, snow and other inclement weather conditions as needed).
- Requires hand digging for extended periods of time and some work may be performed in trenches or holes which will require shoring.
- Ability to climb ladders, scaffolding, walk boards and walkways and work at varying heights, including on roofs and to operate a wide variety of personal lift equipment.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment, including SCBA and/or respirators; fall restraint harness; required to operate various pieces of equipment including fork fort lift, mini excavator and trencher, sewer machine and various hand tools.
- Will be required to work with chemicals including greases, oils, refrigerants, etc.
- Must be able to work around, under, and in large pieces of equipment which may be hot and/or moving parts.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 60 lbs; stand for extended periods of time and work with arms above your head and off ladders at varying heights.
- Requires standing, walking, bending, stooping and reaching for extended periods of time-- 90% or more of the workday is standing on feet.
- Ability to utilize computer keyboard (typing).
- Work maybe performed in the maintenance shop, on roofs, or outdoors in all weather conditions.
- May be wet for extended periods and occasionally work in or with wet conditions that may contain sewage.
- Some tasks maybe performed in confined spaces and in or around general construction conditions or in finished office space.
- Comfortable working in immediate proximity to general public, in a safe and friendly manner, answering questions regarding the Garden and its operations.
Contacts with Individuals/Organizations inside/outside the Garden:
- Members of the Maintenance Department.
- Garden staff, especially horticulturist, and visitors in areas where work is being performed.
- Architects and/or engineers during major renovations and new construction.
- Outside contractors and vendors to obtain supplies and services.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Missouri Botanical Garden, 2345 Tower Grove Ave., St. Louis, Missouri, United States of America