Health & Safety - Occupational Health Specialist 57
If you are ready to change the world and protect the protectors, the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) currently has an IMMEDIATE opportunity for a Health & Safety Specialist in its Occupational Health & Safety Department.
This is a non-exempt, full-time position (32.5-hour work week) with office assignment at the Headquarters of the International Association of Fire Fighters in Washington D.C. Starting salary is $83K rising to $99K within two years - SUPERB benefits including free comprehensive health insurance for employee and dependents, extensive vacation and sick leave, flexible schedul tuition reimbursement, 401k match, pension, and more!!
With headquarters in Washington, DC, and Ottawa, Ontario, the International Association of Fire Fighters represents more than 320,000 full-time professional fire fighters and single-role EMS practitioners in more than 3,500 local affiliates.
Please note: The IAFF is unable to provide immigration sponsorship and the option to telework is not available for this position. Please note that while as of now we are working remotely, this position will be in-office based when the IAFF returns to in-office operations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans, and those in traditionally disadvantaged groups.
Provides assistance to IAFF local affiliates to resolve their health and safety problems and issues using applicable NFPA and OSHA codes and standards as well as other resources. Advocate for the health and safety of fire fighters at government and fire service meetings and conferences. Produce health and safety educational materials for dissemination to the membership.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
- Provides technical assistance, information, and advice to IAFF affiliates as it relates to health and safety problems, questions, and concerns
- Coordinates with medical physicians to provide support for fire fighter medical issues, to produce educational materials of a medical nature, and to provide medical evidence to NFPA standards committees
- Produce educational materials on fire fighter health and safety topics
- Assist with on-site precept of medical residency program with John’s Hopkins University and Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Occupational/Environmental and Preventative Medicine Residents
- Make presentations to IAFF affiliates on health and safety topics
- Attends meetings and conferences to represent the IAFF and advocate for the health and safety of fire fighters
- Provide assistance with pursuit of fire fighter health and safety legislation, track progress of the legislation, and keep records of enacted legislation
- Produce charts and graphs from fire fighter health and safety data
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Health, Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Health or related field; Masters a plus!
- Minimum of 3 years relevant work experience
- Knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards and National Fire Protection Administration (NFPA) standards
- Excellent oral and written communication skills Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent research skills
- Ability to read and interpret scientific and statistical data
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Pay Type Hourly
- Travel Required No
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- IAFF, 1750 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, District Of Columbia, United States of America