Water Support Systems Technician
This position assists in the daily operations of all life support and water systems throughout the Zoo.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Operate, monitor, and maintain all aspects of life support and water systems including making physical and virtual rounds
• Perform routine preventative maintenance on all equipment under LSS responsibility
• Troubleshoot and repair plumbing, pumps, sand filters, valves, actuators, controllers, ozone generators, chlorine disinfection systems, and other miscellaneous equipment
• Inspect and maintain sand filters and filter baskets
• Calibrate ORP and chlorine sensors
• Conduct water quality analysis on aquatic animal habitats
• Interpret water quality analysis results
• Maintain all necessary record keeping
• Recognize and follow all safety requirements
• Communicate all necessary information to fellow technicians and appropriate Zoo staff
• Report all problems to the appropriate animal department managers and work with animal staff, maintenance personnel and contractors as needed to resolve problems
• Develop and maintain inventory of appropriate repair parts
• Develop and maintain preventative maintenance program
• Assist in other departmental areas as requested/needed
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• Must be able to be respond to LSS/Zoo emergencies
• Must be able to work independently
• Valid driver license with acceptable motor vehicle record to maintain Zoo standards of insurability
Education and/or Experience:
• A minimum of 1 to 3 years of prior experience in aquatic, zoo or animal theme park environment operating, troubleshooting, and repairing water filtration systems for the support of live animal exhibits preferred
Certificates, Licenses, and/or Registrations:
• Aquatic Animal Life Support Operators (AALSO) certification desirable
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Team oriented environment
• Ability to work irregular hours (holidays and weekends)
• Ability to work special events and functions as required
• Ability to work outdoors in heat, cold and inclement weather
• Ability to work in confined spaces
• Must be able to work in filtration rooms and with hazardous chemicals
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as a complete inventory of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an at-will basis.
This is a full-time position and offers the following benefits:
• Medical and Prescription Drug (Employee Coverage 90% Employer Paid, Dependent Coverage 55% Employer Paid)
• Basic Life AD&D (1 x Annual Salary up to $150,000 – 100% Employer Paid)
• Short Term Disability (100% Employer Paid)
• Long Term Disability (100% Employer Paid)
• Supplemental Life
• Flexible Spending Account
• Paid Time Off (Accrual Equivalent to 5 Weeks Per Year)
• PTO Rollover
• PTO Sell Back
• Free Zoo Membership
• Free Guest Passes
• Discounts on Food, Merchandise, Attractions, Admission and Programs
- Pay Type Hourly
- Fort Worth Zoo, 1989 Colonial Pkwy, Fort Worth, Texas, United States of America