Early Head Start Teacher; 5463-203-N
The Early Head Start (EHS) Teacher will assist the teaching team in planning and executing age and developmentally appropriate activities reflecting the Montessori curriculum. The Teacher will be responsible to implement activities that will promote social, emotional, cognitive, physical and creative development of children. The Teacher will elicit input from the Team to complete written observations, progress reports, and other documents relevant to the tracking of children’s progress. The Teacher will adhere to policies and procedures established by CCNS, ACS, DOH, DOE, and CACFP and comply with procedural norms and standards of attendance, punctuality, and confidentiality relevant to HIPAA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures a learning environment based on the Montessori approach that helps the children develop physically, emotionally, socially, cognitively, and creatively.
- Participates in the implementation of activities that will promote social, emotional, cognitive, physical, and creative development of children.
- Assumes responsibility for the operation of the classroom in the absence of the Lead Teacher.
- Ensures daily routines such as napping, eating, toileting, timely diaper changing, and washing are carried out in a healthy manner with respect given to an individual child’s needs.
- Ensures information regarding children and the program is shared with parents via daily contact and informal/formal interfacings, home visits, newsletters, etc.
- Ensures information obtained via observations, conferences, tracking, etc. is used to design developmentally appropriate and individualized lesson plans.
- Adheres to all funding source standards in addition to the Agency (Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens) policies and procedures; seeks guidance/clarification from their immediate supervisor regarding interpretation, applicability, and implementation.
- Strictly adheres to and enforces all the Agency policies regarding Confidentiality, HIPAA requirements, and Corporate Compliance regulations.
- Assists teaching team in performing center- related services/activities such as parent/teacher conferences, home visits, transition meetings, end of year celebrations, etc.
- Participates in regularly scheduled staff & team meetings, classroom development workshops on and off site as well as trainings conducted by CCNS, DOE, and other funders.
- Shares job related knowledge with team members so as to promote and support their professional growth.
- Encourages parents to visit classrooms to observe as well as volunteer during the course of the day.
- Works closely with parents to foster mutual respect on all levels.
- Establishes and maintain positive relationships with parents/families via open communications, training and other developmental activities.
- Notifies immediate supervisor in the event of an unplanned absence (illness, personal emergencies, etc.).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EDUCATION/LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS
- AA Degree in Early Childhood Education preferred.
- CDA with Study Plan towards Teacher I
SPECIFICATIONS FOR EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Minimum of 1 year of teaching experience in a pre-school classroom or infant toddler classroom.
- If not already Montessori trained, must commit to enroll in the Agency’s Montessori training program within the first year of hire.
- Computer skills are essential.
- Ability to observe behaviors and record objectively.
- Ability to extrapolate from said observations activities that meet needs of the children on all levels.
- Ability to nurture and care children from 2 months of age through 24 months of age.
SPECIFICATIONS FOR PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, talking, hearing, seeing, stooping, kneeling crawling, crouching.
- Occasional running.
- Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Should be able to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, office equipment, audio visual aids, and teach and play equipment.
- Ability to read printed materials and computer screens.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Travel Required Yes
- Required Education Associate Degree
- 2856 W 15th St, Brooklyn, NY 11224, USA